Wednesday 31 July 2013

Oat and Raisin Pancakes.


I haven't made pancakes for aaaaaaaaaaaggggges. Don't know why really, probably because I am a FOOL. What's been even longer though is the time I've been meaning to try an oat and raisin pancake recipe. It's been so long that I had the recipe bookmarked in a little folder named 'Recipes to try'...that's right, pre-Pinterest times...otherwise known as The Dark Ages. Or have I got that confused?


I made these the other morning as a treat to myself after the Mr had FORCED me to go to the docs, which I hate above most things, because I'd run out of migraine pills....and he finds it quite unpleasant to come home to me in the fetal position in agony...gaaawd, such a mooooanerr.


Anyhoo, I went and turns out the Dr wasn't an ogre that day and it was fairly painless so I probably didn't even deserve pancakes...but we'll keep that quiet for now.


But deserving or not, these pancakes are special and are based on a the classic oat and raisin cookies. Helllooooo....cookie pancakes? Everyone deserves theeese. With Love and Cake.


Oat and Raisin Pancakes.
Adapted from a Joy the Baker recipe

A few notes:
  • I actually used sultanas instead of raisins...they're just juicier. Do as you will.
  • These spread out a fair amount in the pan, so use a bit less mixture than you think you want for each pancake.
  • These are not the most robust pancakes; when they're only cooked on one side and need flippin' they are a bit delicate...not in a disastrous way though, all you need to do it make sure you don't make them too much bigger than your flipping utensil and have a second spatula near by for extra help. When the second side starts to cook they're happy to be flung around as you wish.
Makes plenty, at least enough for 4 people
You will need

2 eggs
250ml buttermilk
55g butter, melted
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g plain flour
50g oats
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
pinch salt
50g raisins

  • Whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
  • Fold in the rest of the ingredients until everything is well combined.
  • Heat your best pancake pan (I like a large, shallow non-stick frying pan) over a medium to high heat.
  • Add a little oil to your pan if you need it (I don't because my pan is nice and non-stick) and fry tablespoonfuls of pancake mix until bubbles start to rise on the top.
  • Flip the pancakes gently (see notes), and cook for a further few minutes, until the second side is dark and firm.
  • Set aside while you cook the rest of the mix, keeping cooked pancakes in a warm oven until you're ready to serve...at which point add lots of syrup and raspberries. 


1 comment:

  1. http://www.neometalcans.com/products/general-line-cans/
    http://www.neometalcans.com/products/open-top-sanitary-can/
    http://www.neometalcans.com/products/ ring-lid-tagger-can /
    http://www.neometalcans.com/products/double-tight-ring-lid-can/
    http://www.neometalcans.com/products/easy-peel-easy-open/
    http://www.neometalcans.com/products/can-components/

    ReplyDelete