Cinnamon and Mincemeat Slice.
A few notes:
- If you don't have a food processor, just sieve the dry ingredients to combine, and rub the butter in with your fingertips.
- You could make this is a bigger tin and have a thinner slice if you fancied.
You will need
1 x 18cm loose bottomed cake tin, buttered and floured
300g plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
100g caster sugar
300g butter, cold from the fridge and cubed
1 x small jar mincemeat
1 tbsp demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°c.
- Pop the flour, salt, cinnamon, cornflour and caster sugar in the bowl of your food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the butter and whizz until the mixture starts to clump together.
- Tip half the mixture into your prepared cake tin and press it down with your fist or the back of a smoon to create a dense, even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the shortbread base is just starting to turn golden.
- After the bottom layer has cooled for a few minutes, spread over the mincemeat.
- Now tumble over the remaining shortbread mixture and spread and press into an even a layer as possible, though this is harder to do than the bottom layer, so don't be sad if it ends up a bit nubbly, it'll still taste lovely.
- Sprinkle the demerara sugar over the top and bake for 40 minutes, when the top should be golden and firm.
- When cooked, remove the sides of the tin as soon as possible; before the mincemeat has a chance to cool and cause a sticking disaster, by standing the cake tin on a mug and sliding the sides of the tin down.
- Leave to cool completely before slicing and feeling like a world saviour.