Sunday 4 August 2013

Peanut Butter and Pretzel Squares.


You know in my last post I was all 'really must remember to chill the things that need to firm up before photo-ing'? Well I was...and this time I did...look how nice and set they are...


What I diiiiidn't do however was leave them to set before sampling them. You see I made them because I was all gross and headachey. Do you ever get it when your limbs feel all empty and heavy, like basically you're bod is an empty suit of armour. Well that...and these just seemed like THE thing for max calories and goodness to fill up all the gaps.


My lack of a proper body when making these should show you how easypants they are...less easy though was to make them for an emergency and let them do the chilling thing....so yeaah, I ate some, all gooey, with a spoon and had to straighten out the edges when they were actually ready for their close up.


They worked though and I'm back to being full on sparky-pants again...maybs I should let the British Medical Association in on the secret...they could give them out on prescription. With Love and Cake.


Salty Peanut Butter and Chocolate Bars.
Adapted from a Cookies and Cups recipe

A few notes:
  • Without pretzels...these are basically these, so check them out if you're not a pretzel person.
  • I think these would be a tad more annoying to make without a food processor but definitely not impossible...use an electric whisk or mixer or just a good old wooden spoon to do the beating.
  • You could make this in any receptacle really...I used a square tin, about 20 x 20 cm, but round would work too, then you could cut wedges rather than squares.
Serves 1 empty person plus a few others
You will need

300g smooth peanut butter
100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
225g icing sugar
50g pretzels, crushed up a bit, plus extra for the top
100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces

  • Line your receptacle (see notes) with foil.
  • Pop the peanut butter, minus 50g which you want to save for later, and butter in the food processor and whizz to combine.
  • Add the icing sugar and whizz to a sandy mixture.
  • The mixture into a big bowl and stir in the broken up pretzels.
  • Press into your foil lined tin.
  • Melt together the chocolate and remaining 50g of peanut butter, either in a saucepan over a low heat or in the microwave, until smooth and shiny.
  • Pour over the peanut butter layer and scatter over a few whole pretzels.
  • Chill until the chocolate is set before turning out and cutting as you fancy.




No comments:

Post a Comment