Sunday 7 July 2013

Digestives.


These is really nothing special about these biscuits, but I don't mean that in a bad way. No, it's really the very point that they are nice and unassuming. They are a vehicle to a higher power....namely, in my case, that of my homemade Nutella.


See, I know you CAN eat it just plain with a spoon, and I would NOT judge others for doing so. But I am a laaaaady, and like to pretend that I could probably be Queen one day if the chance arouse, and I think that my chances would be scuppered if such behaviour was revealed.


So here is what I do....I bake biscuits....definitely Queenly behaviour, especially when they're digestives and all 'why would you ever make them when you can buy them for 17p' type biscuits, then I spread on Nutella and shut all the doors and close all the curtains and scrape it off with my finger straight onto tongue. 


Yes I realise this is WORSE than eating it with a spoon but it is NOT as bad as burning hundreds of people at the stake a la past Queenly behaviour...and I would absolutely promise I would NEVER do that...so that's fair I think. With Love and Cake.


Digestives.
Recipe from Hamlyn All Colour Teatime Favourites

A few notes:
  • Like the lazy fiend that I am, I knocked these up in my food processor, but don't worry if you don't have one, just combine the dry ingredients, run in the butter with your fingertips, then add the milk and bring together by hand.
  • Once you've made the dough, it will happily sit in the fridge, uncooked, wrapped in clingfilm, for a few hours.
  • If you're not making these just for dipping in Nutella, you could make them into chocolate digestives by melting about 150g of your fav chocolate and spreading over the biscuits.


Makes About 20
You will need

1 x baking sheet, greased

175g wholemeal flour
25g oatmeal
pinch salt
1 tsp baking powder
75g butter, at room temperature
40g soft brown sugar
2-3 tbsp milk

  • Preheat the oven to 190°c.
  • Pop the flour, oatmeal, salt and baking powder into your food processor and pulse to combine.
  • Add the butter and whizz until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
  • Pulse in the sugar.
  • Add 2 tbsp milk and pulse so it starts to come together. Add the rest of the milk if you need to allow it to form a dough.
  • Tip the mixture out onto a floured surface and roll out so it's about 5mm thick.
  • Cut out rounds using a 6cm cutter or similar sized upturned glass.
  • Transfer onto your baking sheet, don't worry too much about gaps between them, they don't expend very much, and bake for 15-20 minutes, until deep gold.
  • Remove to a wire rack and cool.
  • Time for dunking.







2 comments: