So remember last, time when I was all like "here have something norrrrrmal and traditional, let's take a holiday from crazy-town cake fun"? Well, yeah, it was fun while it lasted and I do promise it really is very lovely banana bread, but ya knoooow, it's fun to have fun....so here it is again...just a little more mixed up.
As you may have assumed, I tottttally am ok with cake for breakfast. I mean, not everyday of course, and probably not the kind with 17 layers of buttercream, but at the weekend maybe, or as a celebration of the fact that you, I don't know, managed to get a load of washing on, I am fully supportive of cake at the breakfast table.
Banana bread if perfect breakfast cake because you can kid yourself into thinking that it's one of your five a day and that because it's brown, it deffo counts as some sort of health food.....but here's a way to make cake into ACTUAL breakfast that you don't even neeeeeed to justify....just make it into French Toast.
See, French toast has 'actual breakfast status' and therefore is not questioned....who cares that it's drizzled in peanut butter caramel....it still counts. So slice it, dunk it in egg and fry it in butter, drizzle it in the good stuff and serve yourself cake for breakfast...cake becomes an actually breakfasty breakfast. Thank me when you're plate's clean. With Love and Cake.
Peanut Butter Banana Bread French Toast.
Inspired by this recipe by Bake at 350
A few notes:
- You could actually use any sort of fruity, dense loaf cake here...but I do think banana bread feels most appropriate somehow.
- Serve with fresh banana and you're winning even mooooore....I just had used all mine in the actual cake part.
- You will have some peanut butter caramel left over....ice cream syrup anyone?
You will need
For the peanut butter syrup
1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
For the French toast
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 x slices peanut butter banana bread
butter for frying
- First, let's make the syrup. Pop the peanut butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan, heat gently and whisk to a smooth and fairly pour-able syrup.
- Now get your fav frying pan on a medium heat ready for the 'toast'.
- In a shallow dish, gently whisk together the egg, vanilla and salt.
- Dunk the banana bread slices into the egg, leaving each side to soak for a minute or two.
- Now fry each side, just like normal French toast, of the banana bread in butter in your hot frying pan until golden and tinged.
- Serve with creme fraiche and a drizzle of the syrup.