See, words are rubbish...they don’t convey even a teensy portion of the real joy that a mouthful of pav provides. But you know, don’t you?
Mango, Passion Fruit and Coconut Pavlova.
A few notes:
- Pavs are as versatile as your regular meringue...you could top it with any number of concoctions; berries are a fav for summer, and pears, nuts and chocolate is a great wintery combination. And, if the worst comes to worst and you have a pav disaster, you can crush it all up and go down the Eton Mess route.
- If you're not making this because you're left with egg whites from another recipe, you're going to be wondering what will come of your half dozen leftover yolks....fear not, I have the perfect recipe just around the corner. Portuguese custard tart anyone? And if you just can't wait...how about this beauuuutiful biscuit recipe.
- Use an electric hand whisk if you can....unless you're training for the Olympics.
Makes one giiiiant pav
You will need
1 large baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper
6 egg whites
300g caster sugar
350ml double cream
1 small, super ripe mango, sliced
The pulp and seeds of 1 passion fruit
1 tbsp dessicated coconut, toasted under the grill for a few moments
- First job...preheat your oven to 120°c.
- Whisk up your egg whites with the salt so they form stiff peaks...as in, when you pull the whisk out they leave behind a nice proud looking mountain that doesn't flop over, if it flops, keep whisking.
- Then add the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, whisking constantly until eventually you have a shiny and thickened cloud.
- To make sure your greaseproof paper doesn't move around on the baking sheet dab a bit of the meringue mixture in each corner of the baking sheet and press the paper on top.
- Make a nice big disc, with a slight dip in the middle, of meringue on the baking sheet and bake for 2 hours 30 minutes.
- When the time is up, turn the oven off but leave the pavlova inside to cool slowly.
- When it's cool and ready for its toppings, softly whip the cream and spread gently over the meringue.
- Top with the mango slices, drizzle over the passion fruit pulp and sprinkle the coconut over the top.
- Stand back...be proud and keep quiet.