Friday 26 August 2011

Peanut Butter Pancake Nirvana



I have made the perfect pancakes. There...I said it. After previously telling you that I would regale you with manymany variations on the pancake theme, really, there is no point. I have achieved pancake nirvana; perfectly fluffy peanut butter pancakes. That's peanut butter...IN A PANCAKE. *swoon*




I've made pb pancakes on a number of occasions and they've always been delish, but they had a slightly funny texture. They weren't quite as light and fluffy and spongy as my basic pancake recipe.




So on went my pancake thinking cap and in went an egg and self-raising flour and out went banana and oil and voila, pancake joy.




If you're a peanut butter and jam fan (which obviously you are because only the truly insane are not), then serving them with something a bit jammy provides whole new levels of wonderfulness. My favorite thing to do is to pop a handful of frozen blueberries in a saucepan, cover with maple syrup and let bubble on a medium heat for 5ish minutes. An easy-peasy and reassuringly healthy accompaniment.




In fact, there is very little that is unhealthy about this immense treat of a breakfast- apart from maybe the kilos of butter I spread on the pancakes before the syrup, but being happy is healthy right? And butter makes me happy. With Love and Cake.



Peanut Butter Pancakes
A few notes:
  • I do all the mixing in a blender, less effort, less mess, and it mixes in the sticky peanut butter nicely, but you could quite happily use a good old fashioned bowl and whisk.
  • Another favorite accompaniment is Nana's strawberry jam, but I just finished my last jar-eek.
  • I'm not usually one for cup measures but just grabbing your favorite average sized mug to measure the flour is much easier than getting the scales out at breakfast hour.
Makes about 15 big ones
You will need

A non-stick frying pan

1 ¼ cup self-raising Flour
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 heaped tbsp peanut butter

  • Get your pan on a medium heat.
  • Pop The dry ingredients in to the blender and give everything a pulse.
  • Now blend in the milk and egg, followed by the p. butter.
  • If you want a little help with non-stickness, grease your pan with a bit of butter.
  • Now I pour heaped tables spoons of batter straight from the blender into the pan, it saves washing up an extra spoon. If you're less lazy than me you could do it old school and spoon the mixture in.
  • Cook for a few minutes and when bubbles start to show on the up-facing surface, give the pancake a flip and cook for another few mins.
  • Keep in a warm oven while you get on with the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment