Sunday 23 June 2013

Chocolate and Peanut Butter Cups.


This was one of those things that I didn't see coming. I had not planned on making anything like peanut butter cups...though now I come to think of it this seems to be a foolish stance. What was happening you see was that I was getting full on into this summer malarkey and making lollys in my lolly maker.


The thing is, I haven't actually done that for several millions of years because the Scottish summer has not exactly warranted such cool aids. This year I'm excited though, I feel like the North East of Fife is aaaaalmost winning at the weather (South East England is in a different league so I'm not competing with them).


 So yes, I filled my lolly maker with the delicious mix you see before you but then forgot how to get the lollys out when they are frozen. HOW do you DO THIS? I did the whole dunking in warm water thing, the waitingwaiting until it softens and releases but in the end I just pulled out the middle stick thing so I'm left with frozen chocolate goo that I'm going to have to eat out of the lolly maker with a spoon (throw it away you say? What? I don't understand you?).


Happily I made waaaay too much mixture and am clever enough to realise that it would make a yummy little dessert not frozen...similar to what those American folks would call pudding or Italians call budino di cioccolato, so I wasn't stuck for a dessert. Phew. Now help me....how to I get them out...I can't have a lolly-less summer. With Love and Cake.


Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cups
Adapted recipe from Craft, Bake, Sew, Create.

A few notes:
  • You can top these with whatever you like really. Pictured is a topping of salted caramel sauce and Reese's Pieces...pretty darn good, but a spot of whipped cream would be nice and 80s American diner style should you be feeling that way inclined.
Serves 4
You will need

75g granulated sugar
15g cocoa
1 1/2 tbsp corn flour
300ml milk
1 tsp vanilla
35g butter
1 heaped dessert spoon smooth peanut butter

  • Whisk together the sugar, cocoa and cornflour in a medium saucepan.
  • Gradually whisk in the milk and set over a medium heat.
  • Bring to the boil and let bubble for about 1 minute, whisking fairly continuously.
  • Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, butter and peanut butter; at this point you should have a thick, shiny mixture.
  • Pour into 4 ramekins and top each one with clingfilm, allowing it to touch the surface of the mixture all over.
  • Allow to cool completely before chilling in the fridge and topping with something yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment