If you 'like' me over on FaceyB (I'm guessing you've heard of it? It's a place, a blue place, where you can spy on all the people you went to school with and upload pictures to pretend to all your hundreds of 'friends' that your life is just sooooo much prettier and more brilliant than all the other lives and you can show allll the people alllll the pictures of your baby even though noone asked to see 1 let alone 150) you may have noticed me issuing rather strict sounding 'advice' to make Nutella NOWWWWW 1. because it's just so damn wonderful, and 2. because I would soon be hitting you with some superspesh recipes that make it the star....I mean you can't eat the whoooole jar off a spoon (haha...I jest of course).
So I hope, for all our sakes, that you heeded my sound and wise guidance and Nutella-ed yourself right up, because here is a little gem of a fancy looking, but easy to execute, recipe that means breakfast will never be the same again.....you get your Nutella fix without eeeeeven needing to spread; the knife can stay in the drawer...well unless you want butter, which, of course, you absolutely do.
And oh gosh, I just had the most magical idea....WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF IT SOONER....I need to make a pain au chocolate with homemade Nutella....drop everything, that is what I'm off to do right this second....because the texture you get from Nutella baked into bread (bears repeating I think....Nutella....baked into bread) is similar to that in pain au chocolate...it goes from being drippy and spreadable to more of a paste....in the most scrumptious, chocolatey way.
So if you haven't done the 'likey' thing over on Facebook...you probably should, I'm not sure how you'll get on with the rest of your life if you miss such important nuggets and instructions as I enforce upon you there, you know 'make Nutella NOW' is pretty life or death...and if you're a star student and have a big jar of Nutella ready and waiting....ready, steady, BAKE. With Love and Cake.
Chocolate Swirl Bread.
A few notes:
- This is basically my regular white bread recipe with the added lovelyness of Nutella, but if you wanted something a bit richer, you could use a sweetened bread dough like the one I used for the Cinnamon Swirl Bread, just leaving out the cinnamon and sultanas.
- Do refer to my original bread post for all the tricks for yeasted success I've learnt along the way.
Makes 1 large loaf
You will need
A large-ish loaf tin or baking sheet, greased and lined
500g strong white bread flour
½ tsp fine salt
2 tsps ‘Easy-Blend’ or ‘Active’ dried yeast
300ml-ish of warm water
Splosh flavourless oil (olive or veg or groundnut, whatever)
2-3 tbsp Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 220˚c.
- Now you’re ready to bake. Pop your lovely loaf in the middle of the oven and leave for around 20-25 mins, until nice and golden and crusty looking.
- It’s ready when knocking it on its bottom, like knocking on a door, makes it sound nice and hollow.