Wednesday 11 January 2012

'Reason to Get Out of Bed' Waffles.


Oh hello, how are you getting on with the whole 'waking up in January' thing? I've got a tad better since I last updated you, I fiiinally managed to drag my lazy beeehind out for a run. High five. Still need some strong incentive though, so I thought I'd give us a hand and add something delicious to the 'reasons to get out of bed' list; still ever so slightly weighted against by the 'reasons to stay tucked up and cosy' list.


We have Jamie Oliver; my imaginary bestie friend, to thank for this one. As soon as I saw him make these waffles and Dunk. Them. In Hot. Chocolate. *swoon* on his Christmas show (watch it if you haven't already, it's brrrilliantly bonkers, I love him, I love him), I text Mum to say Dad could keep his scrambled eggs and salmon, I had Christmas day breakfast sorted.


Jamie's recipe is for one great big waffle, made in a griddle pan, which is what I did on Christmas day. But home alone in my humble 'sans griddle pan' abode, I twiddled with it so I could make a little one in my mini Le Creuset. And really, it was JUST as spongely good, if not a smidgen better, and soooo much easier to handle.


The ridges of the griddle pan weren't deep enough to create the syrup trapping gorges of traditional waffles anyway and this way you don't have to 'rock the rustic look', which is how Jamie consoled my rather homemade and scrappy looking large one which was kind of a nightmare to flip over...no messy edges here. You can just stand back and feel puffed up and neatly proud, just like your waffle, especially if you've managed a run beforehand. With Love and Cake.


Waffles.
Tweaked from Jamie Magazine

A few notes:
  • I served mine with my (read Nigella's) trusty blueberry syrup; simmer a few frozen blueberries in a splosh of maple syrup for a minute or two. Oh yes, that, and shed loads of butter.
  • Like pancakes, the possibilities of tweaks and twiddles are endless- hows about adding chocolate chips to the batter, or going savoury and serving with bacon and eggs??
Makes enough for 3 or 4 breakfasts
(edited 16/03/12: recipe halved)
You will need

a little heavy bottomed frying pan

1 egg
150ml milk
pinch of salt
110g self raising flour
1 1/4 tbsp baking powder
50g butter, melted

  • First things first lets whisk the eggs and milk together in a large bowl.
  • Then add the salt, flour and baking powder and beat to combine.
  • Finally beat in the cooled melted butter until just about combined and then STOP stirring and fiddling. The mix needs to be left alone now for at least 30 minutes to swell and puff up.
  • When the resting time is almost over, heat your pan so it is very hot, and swirl a knob of butter around in it so it's greased all over.
  • Pour in the batter, smooth over the top and leave alone for a good 5 minutes.
  • Now the fiddly part, the flipping. So the easiest way I find to do this is to slide a palate knife around the edges of the half cooked waffle so you know it's all loosened from the pan. Then sliiiiiide the waffle onto a plate so the cooked side remains on the bottom. Then hover the pan upside down over the waffle, hold the plate with an oven gloved hand and flip, so the uncooked side is on the bottom in the pan. Done.
  • Stick the pan back on the heat and cook for a further 5 minutes.
  • Check both sides are golden brown and the centre of the waffle feels firm to the touch, if not give it a few more minutes on each side, flipping should be much easier now.
  • Now you're ready to cut into wedges and take on the day, however dreary it may be.




1 comment: