Friday 13 January 2012

Chilli Chocolate Shortbread; a Revelation.


So today, I have for you a revelation. I'm not God or anything but I feel I have come up with something which warrants some form of worship. Say hellloooooo to Chilli Chocolate Shortbread.


I mean, I'm not saying that such a thing has never been done before, most things have, particularly when it comes to baking, but I pay attention to food a lot, I read about food a lot, so I assume that if something exists, I'd have come across it...and I haven't come across this, not ever. Well, I hadn't before I Googled it to research this recipe.


I therefore come to the 'divine revelation' conclusion, considering how bloomin' lovely it is. It's either that or the fact that I am generally driven by greed towards chocolate, towards shortbread and towards anything vaguely sweet.


If it is the latter though, I'd prefer it if you play it down for now, and let me bask in my glorious 'discovery' for just a little longer. Thanks. With Love and Cake.


Chilli Chocolate Shortbread
Adapted from Avoca Tea Time

A few notes:
  • It might be best to have a tiny taste of your chilli before you use it, either fresh or dried, so you can tweak the amount, using more if it's mild or less if it's 'head-pop-off' strong.
  • These perhaps aren't the daintiest looking biscuits, a pretty shape cutter helps, use whatever you fancy. For extra prettyness you could also drizzle over a thin stream of melted chocolate....ooooh melted 'chilli chocolate' perhaps. 
  • These are a lovely prezzie tied up nicely in a box or bag, I gave mine as a ' it was your birthday and I haven't given you your proper prez yet so have these in the meantime' gift.
  • If you don't have a food processor, it might be easiest to combine all the dry ingredients and  rub the butter into this mixture.
Makes a good biscuit tin-full
You will need

a lined baking tray
cookie cutters of any shape, around 5-10cm diameter

225g butter, cold from the fridge, cubed
280g plain flour
30g corn flour
110g icing sugar
25g cocoa powder
1 small fresh chilli, finely chopped, or 3/4 tsp dried chilli flakes

  • This is a simple one really, just put all the ingredients in a food processor and whizz until just combined.
  • Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
  • Preheat your oven to 110 °c and prepare a clean surface, dusted with icing sugar and/or cocoa, to roll out your mixture onto.
  • I found it easier to deal with the dough in 2 halves, but either way, roll out to a thickness of around 1cm.
  • Cut out your shapes and transfer to the baking sheet. 
  • Bake for 1.5 hours and then leave to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes or so, then cool completely on a wire wrack.
  • Worship.







No comments:

Post a Comment