Tuesday 11 October 2011

Autumn Morning Bramble Pancakes


Hiiiiii...so pancakes, it's been a while. Well I guess not too long considering most normal British people stick to once a year, but in terms relative to my recent pancake past, a few weeks is farfar too long for these flat little beauties to be absent from my breakfast table. 
  Whenever I decide to make pancakes I face a dilemma. You see I have manymany creative ideas in my head  for concoctions that need trying, but am also very aware that my peanut butter pancake heaven will take some serious beating. So I have to decide, do I stick to the wonders of pbpancakes; guaranteed gorgeousness, or do I tick one off the 'waiting list' and risk disappointment.


Well this pancake time I went for the latter, and being that I am still surrounded by autumn's bounty, it was a wise decision. The actual pancake batter, I'm afraid, was not able to reach the dizzying heights of the bar set by the pbps, but the whole Bramble Pancake experience was deffo worth the little morning risk take. 


My brambles were early (Scottish early that is), so added a burst of sharpness which was cosily blanketed by the sweet topping of this years deeeeelicious (not bragging- just fact) Blackberry Jelly. The purple jewels studding the slightly sweet, slightly springy pancake could brighten any dreary morning.


And lets face it, on days that start dark and dreary and end dark and dreary and have a dark and dreary middle, we need all the breakfast joy we can get. With Love and Cake.

(I thought you'd like to see a picture of my breakfast view, that's Edinburgh in the background)

Bramble Pancakes
(adapted from Country Harvest by Linda Burgess & Rosamund Richardson)

A few notes:
  • You could us any pancake batter to drop the brambles into, as long as they're small fluffy ones, rather than big crepey ones. MMmmm peanut butter bramble pancakes-yes peerlease.
  • I used my blackberries straight from frozen, but that seemed to be a mistake because it stopped the batter around the berries getting hot enough to cook- so don't do that.
  • You could stir the berries, any kind in fact, through the batter but I preferred to drop them onto the uncooked sides of the pancakes in the pan to ensure even distribution.
Makes 10-15
You will need

Your fav frying pan

225g plain flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp bicabonate of soda
2 eggs
225ml milk
1 tbsp golden syrup
175g blackberries

  • First things first, get your pan onto a medium heat and run a knob of butter around it.
  • Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
  • Beat the eggs, milk and syrup together and whisk into the dry mix to a nice smooth batter.
  • Pour tablespoons-full of batter onto the hot pan, leave to cook for a few seconds then sprinkle a few berries on top of each pancake.
  • After a minutes, when the underside is golden and lovely looking, flip them over and cook for another couple of minutes.
  • Serve warm with butter and jam or cream ooo or maybe some honey or more syrup......







No comments:

Post a Comment