Monday 5 September 2011

Strawberry And Coconut Whirly-Whirlys.


Oh hiii there, thanks for stopping by. So as you know, I took a lovely little trip home to Sunny Somerset recently (it waves and says Hi by the way). I wasn't planning on doing any baking while I was there really, a bit because I get accused of trying to turn Mum and Dad into the 'size of a house', but mainly because I imagined Mutus and I would be faaaaar too busy with all things cocktail, shopping and lunching related.


Well we were of course busy with such things, but in a perfect amount which meant we had a jot of time left over for making the most of the summer fruit deposits that Nana and Grandad had so helpfully (winkwink nudgenudge) made to the freezers.


This recipe called for sliced strawberries spread over a yeasted dough which is wound up a la Norwegian Skillingsboller. However I thought I would be very clever and defrost some strawberry puree for the purpose, which otherwise, I predict would have hung around, unwanted for a good year. That makes sense doesn't it?


Well it turns out this part of the recipe did not respond well to improvisation and I made a big strawberry-ey mess as the puree squodged out of the dough, all over the kitchen, fueling Dad's constant argument that i am a nightmare to have around in the kitchen. So I'll write the recipe for the original method so you don't have to clean up to such an extent. See look, I'm helpful...I make mistakes so you don't have to...With Love and Cake.


Strawberry and Coconut Whirls.

A few notes:
  • I over-cooked these for a good 5 minutes which meant they quickly went a bit tough. It was because after the stated cooking time the dough still looked quick squishy so I popped them back in the oven...so don't be scared of the whirls looking a bit wobbly when the cooking time is up. Again I mess up so you don't have to.
  • You absolutely don't have to make the icing, but it makes then look so preeeeddy.
  • This recipe apparently makes 18, but as usual I went for big and bold cutting so ended up with about 10.
You will need

1 or 2 baking trays, greased

For the dough
500g strong white bread flour
75g unsalted butter
1 sachet dried yeast
50g caster sugar
100g desiccated coconut
350ml warm milk, plus extra for glazing

For the filling
50g butter, melted 
350g strawberries, thinly sliced
3tbsp light muscovado sugar

For the icing
100g icing sugar
juice 1 lemon

  • First you need to rub the butter into the flour, then stir in the yeast, sugar and coconut.
  • Now knead in the milk for a good 5 minutes until the dough is nice and springy.
  • Pop him back in his bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave somewhere cosy for 1 hour.
  • Then roll him out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle of 45x25cm.
  • Brush the dough with butter, then top with the sliced berries and sprinkle with the sugar.
  • Roll up like a swiss-roll from one of the longest edges and cut with a bread-knife into 18 slices.
  • Arrange them all swirl side up/down, with a few cm gap between each one, on the baking sheets and leave to rise again for 15 minutes while the oven preheats to 200°c.
  • Bake for 20 minutes and leave on a wire rack to cool while you get the icing together.
  • All you need to do is mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together and drizzle over the pink little lovelies.









No comments:

Post a Comment