Wednesday 7 September 2011

Marvelous Scones for a Marvelous Breakfast.


Hellooooo there, what did you have for breakfast today, I hope it was something wonderful? This morning I wanted a treat. I had time and I had a fully stocked fridge and I wanted a little indulgence.


It didn't quite feel like a pancake day (there must have been something seriously wrong with me), I thought about muffins but the cakeyness wasn't appealing. So I ended up settling on scones. "Scones for breakfast??" I hear you gasp. But these are not ordinary, jam and cream wearing scones. Theeese are crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside scones. They are studded with both smug-making health (raspberries) and joy-giving sin (chocolate) scones. 


These scones are so heart-quickeningly marvelous that as soon as I had finished my breakfast one, I made up my mind to have exactly the same for lunch. I actually didn't in the end, but only because I knew that the gazpacho I made yesterday would be even more delish after a night mingling in the fridge-any other option though wouldn't have stood a chance. 


These extravagant little madams are super moist and filled with so much goodness that they don't need any splitting and spreading. Just eat them fresh and warm and they will make you so happy that you'll wiggle your toes and hop, skip and jump into the rest of your day...With Love and Cake.


Raspberry and White Chocolate Ricotta Scones
inspired by smitten kitchen

A few notes:
  • The dough this recipe makes is rather a wet and sticky one, so just make sure that when you're patting it out, the surface and your hands are nicely floured.
  • You can pick and choose the fruit and chocolate to suit your favs- maybe chopped strawberries and milk chocolate, or perhaps you'd like to take out the naughtyness (WHY??) and go for full on fruityness, using only blueberries say. Go craaaazy and try things out. Just keep the total amount of added things along the lines of the stated 220g, splitting and dividing it in to all the things you love.
  • All my hints and tips regarding how to make the perfect scone apply to these ones as well. Find them here.
Makes 9
You will need

A greased baking sheet

250g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
50g granulated sugar
85g butter
220g in total of raspberries and chocolate- I used 116g raspberries and 104g white chocolate, roughly chopped
170g ricotta
100ml double or whipping cream

  • Preheat the oven to 220°c.
  • Mix the flour, baking powder and sugar together either in a bowl or food processor.
  • Now rub in the butter until you get a 'fine breadcrumb', texture using the processor or you fingertips. 
  • If you're using the food processor tip the mixture into a bowl.
  • Stir through the raspberries and chocolate and then mix in the ricotta and cream lightly with a metal spoon and bring everything together to form and squishy dough.
  • Transfer to your well-floured surface and with floured hands, gently pat into a square with a depth of about 2.5cm
  • Divide into 9 squares with a sharp knife.
  • Transfer the squares to the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. They're done when they're golden on top but they will still quite squidgy looking.
  • You'll probably have to leave them to cool and firm up on the tray for 5 minutes or so and then transfer to a wire rack/plate to cool/eat.





No comments:

Post a Comment