Saturday 15 December 2012

Egg Nog.


I have been meaning to make Egg Nog for foooorevvvver. I never really knew what it was, what was in it or how to make it....I just knew that I wanted it. Turns out....it's boozy custard. It's custard AND YOU DRINK IT. Even as I write this, having made it and drank it, I'm not sure if I'm over-excited because obviously drinkable, alcoholic custard is the most genius invention ever or that I'm actually a bit aggitated because boozy drinkable custard is an insane idea and the thought of it is a teeny bit gross.


I think maybe it's a mixture of the two. It is indeed delicious and the brandy and nutmeg make it wholey festive feeling; I really do feel very 'Little Women' at just the thought of the words Egg Nog, but the fact that I watched myself whisk eggs and cook them and pour them into glasses gives it an ever so slight yuck factor.


Ahhh so the answer is to get someone else to make fooor you. Thaaaaat's what you should do. Because I wouldn't want you to miss out, it is a massive treat after all....and if you're a creamy, after-dinner cocktail fan, I'm thinking Brandy Alexanders or the infamous White Russian, then this is RIGHT up your street.


With the rest of mine I'll probably use it as actual custard over mince pies and such like...because that makes total sense, brandy cream is an actual thing people make. But lets be honest, tis the season for things not to make sense really....a fat man fitting down chimneys, flying reindeer, little elves making X-Boxes...and if we can believe all that then should be able to embrace drinkable custard right? With Love and Cake.


Egg Nog.

A few notes:
  • When doing my research for this recipe I find millions and trillions of different versions...some that separated the eggs, some with bourbon, some cold some hot etcetcetc. This is an emalgumation of several that I think feels like the most traditional and is definitely the least expensive in terms of shelling out for loads of different bottles of spirits.
  • If you don'y have brandy maybe you have whisky and could use that instead, or maybe Bailey's would work too....eveeevery one has baileys.
  • You can serve egg nog freshly warm out the pan or chill it and serve cold...I guss it just depends how warm you want your cockles to be.
  • If the idea of drinking custard doesn't appeal, this would be perfect in the place of regular custard over Christmassy delights like mince pies or Christmas pudding.


Makes 4 small servings
You will need

1 pint milk
25g caster sugar
good splash vanilla extract
3 eggs
100ml brandy
good pour of double cream
freshly grated nutmeg

  • In a medium sized heavy based saucepan, heat the milk and sugar gently until just starting to boil.
  • Whisk the eggs gently in a bowl with the vanilla and slowly pour over the milk, whisking constantly.
  • Give the saucepan a quick wipe around so it's pretty much clean and pour the eggy milk back into the pan.
  • Return the pan to a very gently heat, stir fairly often until the mixture is thickens slightly and a good coating sticks to the back of a wooden spoon.
  • Remove the mixture from the hot pan or it will continue to cook.
  • Once it has cooled slightly, whisk in the brandy and cream.
  • You can serve as it is, toasty warm, or chill and serve cold. Either way dust with plenty of nutmeg.






No comments:

Post a Comment