A few notes:
- I, rather smugly, made my own chestnut jam last year. I will NOT bore you with the recipe because it involves shelling a KILO of chestnuts and that HURTS your thumbs, so just buy some sweetened chestnut puree or ‘chestnut spread’ like this one which I’ve seen around and about...it might even be in supermarkets if you live in one of those exotic city places I've heard so much about.
- This would still very much be a Mont Blanc if you left off the chocolate sauce, and it would require even less effort to put together if you omitted it....I just felt like including it, for colour more than anything.
- Recipe for meringues....HERE. Or you could use bought ones.
- You could use whipped cream in the place of mascarpone of you fancied.
You will need
4 tbsp sweetened chestnut puree
For the cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate sauce
80g dark chocolate
a healthy knob of butter
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
- This is pretty much an assembly job, so first let's get all the components ready.
- For the cream, just whisk the vanilla and icing sugar into the mascarpone until smooth.
- To make the chocolate sauce, melt the chocolate and butter together either in a bowl over a pan of boiling water or in the microwave.
- Whisk in the sugar, syrup and milk, heat and stir a bit more so that you have a silky smooth sauce.
- Now for assembly...pop each meringue on it's serving plate and top with a tablespoon of the chestnut puree.
- Top that with a tablespoon of the mascarpone mixture and then pour over the chocolate sauce.
- If your feeling festive, sift over a sprinkling of icing sugar and pretend it's snow.