Wednesday 9 May 2012

Salted Caramel and Popcorn Ice Cream.


So I’ve gone and done it. I’ve jumped on the ‘Jubilympics: let’s smother everything in Union Jacks’ bandwagon. Not really for any other reason than aesthetics at the mo; our flag just seems so cheerful and celebratory to me. Don’t worry though, come June I will find real reasons; whole heartedly abandoning my default position of apathy towards all things royal and make sure I brush up on the curtseying skills I learnt for The Wedding last year. You know, just in case. Then August, and I plan not to be able to move for copious amounts of self-inflicted red, white and blue.


Summer nationalist fun wasn’t my initial thought when I was planning on making this frozen joy however. It was more of a case of not wanting to throw away left over popcorn, combined with a recent love affair with ‘Heston Blumenthal for Waitrose’s’ ice creams; one of which was indeed salted caramel and popcorn.


Although divine, Heston’s, I’m afraid, was lacking the salty richness of salted caramel and instead relied on crunchy sugary nuggets of set caramel. My version, while not being a traditional custard-based ice cream, is more heavily laden with the joys that are associated with salted caramel. Ooozy, gooey, sweet and mineral-ey.


The fact that it’s not custard based has pros and cons. Pro: you don’t need an ice cream maker (high on my list of ‘WANT but can’t have until I have a giant beast of a kitchen’ just below the waffle iron FYI) and is a cinch to whip up. Con: it doesn’t melt in the same drippy way that your tub of Ben and Jerry’s does, remaining more mousse-ey. But no matter really- a gooey brownie and a scoop of this? OOOooooheeeMMMGeeeeeee. With Love and Cake.


Salted Caramel and Popcorn Ice Cream.

A few notes:
  • I used microwave popcorn here, simply because I had some leftover, but in hindsight I think I would find it preferable to the ready popped super sugary 'toffee popcorn' anyway, given the sweetness of the other main ingredient. But if you don't have some microwave stuff lying around and don't want to pop some especially, feel free to experiment with a popped variety or simply leave it out all together (just don't tell Heston).
  • I made this salted caramel. You won't need it all, but make it anyway for extra drizzle and eating with anything and everything or just with a spoon. Mmmmmmmm.
Makes about 1 pint
You will need

500ml double cream
10-20g popcorn, slightly chopped

  • Now it's easypeasy, just whip the cream so in becomes big and billowy but remains pour-able. It will stiffen further as you stir the other ingredients in.
  • Stir in 1 tbsp of the caramel so it is totally combined, followed by the popcorn.
  • Then add the rest of the caramel, folding it through gently so it remains rippled and pooled.
  • Pop in a freezer proof tub, cover and pop in the freezer overnight and sleep awaiting frozen joy.








No comments:

Post a Comment