Monday 5 March 2012

Forgotten Blueberry, White Chocolate and Coconut Flapjack.


Hello...sorry for kind of being a tad incommunicado, moved in and all, just having a little internet trouble. But heyho, instead of wallowing I'll just talk about cake instead. I always forget how much I like coconut. I don't forget that I like it at all; I don't leave the blue quality street until last (pink!), but I would never really choooooose them. But turns out, I am stoopid and need to start renumbering important things better. Important things like how tropical and sunshiney tasting coconut is. Oo and it's wonderful, waxy texture.  


Another vitally important piece of info to store is how sweet and almost toffee tasting blueberries become when baked into things. Maybe I'll have to get rid of all my knowledge of...say...Boyzone, that would leave a whole lot of room spare. But no, that's silly. I'll go with geography knowledge, how useful is knowing where Birmingham is!


Anyway. Of course I never forget my love of white chocolate, that fact is probably taking the place of some big chunk of knowledge like understanding the stock exchange, but isn't going anywhere fast. Something about a foot? So I remembered that white chocolate on top of flapjack would be a big thumbs up, but the inclusion of the other two was more guided by my need to empty the kitchen than any culinary decision. But my oh my, what a turn up for the books.


Like one of those chemistry experiments where you put a few inconspicuous looking liquids in a test tube and all hell, smoke and colour breaks loose. Moving and unpacking is alllllllmost done with, but there are still lots of things in lots of boxes, so we'll have to see if any other experiments turn good. Happy Monday. With Love and Cake.


Blueberry, White Chocolate and Coconut Flapjack

A few notes:
  • If you don't like coconut, and I know there are a few crazies out there that don't, just leave it out.
  • In fact, you could totally mix it up here, different fruit, different chocolate- go mad.
  • As with the Cherry Flapjack, I used part oats and part oatmeal, just for 'using up' purposes, but normal flapjack would just use oats for the total amount.
Makes an 18cm round
You will need

a 18cm round, loose bottomed tin, greased and lined

100g butter
100g soft brown sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
110g oats
110g oatmeal
150g blueberries
100g white chocolate. chopped into chunks 
2 tbsp dessicated coconut

  • First as usual preheat your oven to 180°c.
  • Now gently heat you butter, sugar and syrup in a nice big pan, stirringstirring until the butter has melted and the sugar mostly dissolved.
  • Stir in the oats until really well combined then gently stir through your berries.
  • Tumble the mixture into your prepared tin and smooth and press the top of the oats down to fill every nook and cranny of your tin and to get a nice shiny surface.
  • Bake for around 30 minutes until bronzed all over.
  • As soon as the tin is out the oven, tumble the chopped chocolate over the top of the flapjack. What will happen is the heat from the oats will melt the chocolate and after a few minutes you will be able to spread it out all nice and smooth.
  • Then sprinkle over the coconut.
  • While still warm run a knife around the edge of the tin so you don't get your edges stuck and then leave it all to cool completely in the tin.
  • When cooled, turn out and slice and remember all the important things.



No comments:

Post a Comment