Saturday 11 February 2012

Mini Lemon Loaves.


Oh dear, I've just realised that the recipe I have for you today is the 3rd one from Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess since Christmas. Sorry. I usually like to mix it up, getting lots of different inspiration from lots of different places, but with Nigella on my shelf, well, I find it hard to focus on anything else given the beam of golden light and angel-song that emanates from her and her books.


I got an Amazon giftcard for Christmas you see (thAAAnks Mark and Nicky), and of course my immediate thought was "Mad Men season 4...YESSSSSS", thought whilst participating in a little jig. And theeeeeeen it turned out, joy of joys, that I had just enough prezzy pennies left for Nige and her Domestic Goddess Guide, which is a book I've wanted for 10 billion years.


So of course I've devoured every single word. This little bit is my favourite: "Though description is irrelevant: the utter gorgeousness of just one bite of these chocolate macaroons reveals the rank inadequacies of language. Eat them: that's enough." That's how I feel about most of my waffle on here...I'm telling you about it because it's wonderful to eat, so really, all I'm ever saying is 'pleaseplease just make it then eat it'. 


I hope you don't mind my Nige-athon, because I have a feeling it's going to be a long one. With Love and Cake.


Mini Lemon Loaf Cakes
Adapted from Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess.

A few notes:
  • Nige actually makes mini lime loaves but I wanted lemon. You feel free to use any citrus flavour you like, just make sure you use unwaxed, otherwise you'll end up with the zest drying out and being "a bit like hair". Wooopsiiiiies my mistake.
  • Don't worry if you don't have an amazing Secret Santa friend who gives you vintage mini loaf tins for Christmas, just use fairy cake cases in a fairy cake tin.
Makes 8-10
You will need

mini cake tins, lined; I improvised with grease-proof paper

125g soft butter
175h caster sugar
2 eggs
zest of 1 lemon
175g self-raising flour
4 tbsp milk

For the syrup
4 tbsp lemon juice (juice of around 1 lemon)
100g icing sugar

  • Preheat your oven to 180 °c.
  • Now cream your butter and sugar together until lightened in colour and then beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the zest until creamy and fluffy looking.
  • Next fold in the flour and milk and spoon into your lined tins.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes, until risen and golden.
  • While the cakes are cooking prepare the syrup by heating the juice and sugar in a little saucepan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
  • As soon as the cakes are out of the oven prick all over with a skewer or cocktail stick or even a bit a dry spaghetti, and pour over the syrup slowly, allowing it to be absorbed all over. You might want to go over them twice, adding just a bit of syrup at a time, so it gets soaked in evenly. 
  • Leave the cakes in the tin for a good while, until nicely cooled and properly soaked.
  • Then turn out and enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment